PART III-POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
A. NYSCSS PROFESSIONAL EDUCATOR AWARDS
THE OUTSTANDING SOCIAL STUDIES CLASSROOM TEACHER AWARD (ELEMENTARY/MIDDLE/SECONDARY)
Presented to an individual who has demonstrated exceptional teaching ability at the elementary/middle/secondary level. (There will be separate categories of elementary, middle and secondary teacher candidates.) The person nominated must be KNOWLEDGEABLE in social studies content as well as pedagogy and must be able to RELATE successfully to students at the level for which the nomination is made. The individual must be CERTIFIED in the area in which he or she teaches and must have taught for at least FIVE YEARS in the award category for which he/she is nominated. The person must be a MEMBER of the New York State Council for the Social Studies at the time of nomination.
THE DISTINGUISHED SOCIAL STUDIES EDUCATOR AWARD
Presented to an individual who EXEMPLIFIES THE BEST in professional Social Studies education in New York State. The individual should have had CONSIDERABLE VISIBILITY and a SIGNIFICANTLY POSITIVE IMPACT on Social Studies education in this state and possibly at the national level. The person’s contribution should be widely known and should be WELL DOCUMENTED over a period of FIVE YEARS or more. The person also must be a MEMBER of the New York Council for the Social Studies at the time of nomination.
THE DISTINGUISHED SOCIAL STUDIES SERVICE AWARD
Presented to an individual who has PROVIDED OUTSTANDING EFFORT on behalf of professional social studies organization(s) in the State of New York and possibly at the national level. Those nominated should have a HISTORY OF ACCOMPLISHMENT in this area, preferably but not necessarily, through many varied activities. The person must have been a MEMBER of the New York State Council for the Social Studies for at least FIVE YEARS
GENERAL RULES AND INFORMATION
1. Nominations may be made by an individual or by an organization such as a local council. Letters of support (from parents and students where appropriate) and other forms of documentation such as newspaper clippings and sample teaching materials are STONGLY URGED.
2. The Nominations form (or facsimile) MUST be filled out completely and a total of 5 copies submitted.
3. The due date for receipt of nominations, rationale and supporting documentation is normally on or about January 15th of each year.
4. The Awards Committee will make its recommendations to the Executive Committee of NYSCSS. The Executive Committee is responsible for finalizing the decision of the winner of each award.
5. The award winners will receive public recognition at the Awards Banquet at the annual convention. If present, they will be guests of NYSCSS at the Banquet and will receive plaques.
6. Previous award winners are ineligible for future consideration in the award category for which they were honored.
7. First time nominees who do not win in the year nominated are automatically eligible for consideration for the following year’s awards.
8. It is the responsibility of the nominator to inform the award candidate of his or her nomination.
9. All nominees must be current members.
10. See the nomination form for additional information including due dates.
B. NYSCSS/SIRS JOINT SPECIAL AWARD
NYSCSS/SIRS INTELLECTUAL/ACADEMIC FREEDOM AWARD
THIS AWARD WILL BE GIVEN TO AN INDIVIDUAL WHO EITHER (a) DEFENDED intellectual/academic freedom in a specific controversy and/or (b) has persistently HIGHLIGHTED issues surrounding intellectual/academic freedom by his/her writing, speeches, or other advocacy activities. The defense or advocacy of intellectual/academic freedom MUST BE RELATED TO SOCIAL STUDIES EDUCATION and HAVE OCCURRED WITHIN THE LAST FIVE YEARS.
If the nominee was directly involved in a controversy, submit a WRITTEN STATEMENT (typed
please) describing the situation and the role played by the nominee. The following is suggested for inclusion in the narrative:
· When and where did the incident take place
· What was the issue that sparked the controversy (please provide sufficient background
information to place the incident in context)
· Has the controversy been resolved? How? If not, what is the current status of the problem?
· What personal courage was displayed by the nominee?
If the nominee has persistently heightened awareness by his/her writing, speeches or other
advocacy activities, submit a WRITTEN STATEMENT describing the efforts of the nominee.
The following is suggested for inclusion in the narrative:
· What issue has been dealt with by the nominee
· What methods/activities were used to heighten awareness of the issue
· What has been the results of these methods/activities?
Note: Information may be submitted for Case A and/or Case B
NOMINEES FOR THIS AWARD WILL BE JUDGED ON THE:
· Role they have played in actively promoting intellectual/academic freedom in their sphere
of influence and beyond
· Degree to which they exemplify the spirit of intellectual/academic freedom and
· Impact their efforts to promote intellectual/academic freedom have made
GENERAL INFORMATION AND RULES
1. Nominations may be made by any individual or organization.
2. The Nomination form (or facsimile) MUST be filled out completely.
3. The due date for receipt of nominations, written statement, and any supporting
is normally on or about January 15th of each year. (See November issue of
NEWSLETTER for specific date.)
4. The Awards Committee will review and verify all nominations and make theaward
selection recommendation to the Executive Committee of NYSCSS which will finalize the
5. The winner will be announced at the Awards Banquet at the Annual Convention.
6. It is the responsibility of the nominator to inform the award candidate of his or her
7. The award carries a $500 cash award to the recipient, a $ 500 cash award to an institution
or organization of the recipient’s choice, the expenses of the recipient for travel, room and
at the state convention, and a plaque.
8. See the nomination form for additional information and due dates.
C. NYSCSS PINS ARE AWARDED TO ALL AWARD WINNERS AS WELL AS TO CURRENT NYSCSS PRESIDENT TO BE PRESENTED AT THE ANNUAL CONVENTION